C# 6 in action

Jon Skeet's coding blog

Now that the Visual Studio 2015 Preview is available and the C# 6 feature set is a bit more stable, I figured it was time to start updating the Noda Time 2.0 source code to C# 6. The target framework is still .NET 3.5 (although that might change; I gather very few developers are actually going to be hampered by a change to target 4.0 if that would make things easier) but we can still take advantage of all the goodies C# 6 has in store.

I’ve checked all the changes into a dedicated branch which will only contain changes relevant to C# 6 (although a couple of tiny other changes have snuck in). When I’ve got round to updating my continuous integration server, I’ll merge onto the default branch, but I’m in no rush. (I’ll need to work out what to do about Mono at that point, too –…

View original post 1,520 more words

Paper Effect Google Maps

Sacha's Blog

A friend of mine Marlon Grech, has his own business and he has a nice parallax effect web site : http://www.thynksoftware.com/ and over there on his “contact us2 page, it has this very cool folding Google maps thing. I have wondered how it was done for a while now, today I decided to find out. A colleague of mine was like WHY!….Ashic if you are reading this, sorry but I think it is cool, but I promise you I will be back to trying to slay the world with sockets tomorrow, a slight distraction shall we say.

Not Really My Idea – Credit Where Credit Is Due

Now the code I present in this post is not my own at all, I have added the ability to toggle the folding of the map, but that really is all I have done. None the less, I think it is still of…

View original post 949 more words

Dependency Injection to the rescue

Coding Journeyman


I am a developer, I believe in unit testing and I write a lot of them. But it was not always the case, mostly because I was working on a highly coupled code base. Whenever I wanted to test a single functionality I had to set up a lot of things (database, configuration files, …) to do so even if this functionality was not linked to these dependencies. It was spaghetti code into a big ball of mud.

Then I discovered the Dependency Injection (DI) pattern and it changed the way I designed my code and it made testing much easier. The DI purpose is to reduce coupling between software components in order to improve maintainability and testability. I created the following piece of code to demonstrate the principle :

publicclass User
{publicstring Name {get;set;}publicstring Email {get;set;}

View original post 848 more words

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑